Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gone Too Soon

So this morning I was watching the Today show and I saw a story about an Olympic Skier, Jeret "Speedy" Peterson, who took his own life yesterday. The hosts told all about his accomplishments on slopes and then told about all the bad things that had happened in his home life.  When he was 18 months old he was sexually molested by a family member.  They said he had no recollection of the event, but his mother had told him about it later. This statement shocked me. I cannont understand why a mother would tell her child that they had been molested if they had no prior knowledge of the event.

So here is my question...if you were in the same situation would you tell your child?

Here is the link to the story if you would like to watch the segment:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/43908334#43908334

I pray that God blesses his family and friends in this difficult time and that "Speedy" has finally found peace.

They played the music to this song at the end of the clip. It is one of my FAVORITES.

"Turning circles when time again
It cuts like a knife oh yeah
If you love me got to know for sure
Cos it takes something more this time
Than sweet sweet lies
Before I open up my arms and fall
Losing all control
Every dream inside my soul" David Gray

2 comments:

Bruceville said...

yikes... what a horribly sad story.

miczpt said...

I don't think I would tell my child.